Lamar University, USA
Several of our degrees are granted through Lamar University, located in Beaumont Texas. With this in mind, the following is some additional information about the university.
The Lamar University campus is located in Beaumont, Texas. With a population of more than 115,000, Beaumont is a diversified city, home not only to the university but also to businesses and industries stemming from a strong petrochemical and agricultural base. World-renowned companies are located in Beaumont to take advantage of the area’s resources and its educated workforce.
History of Lamar University
Lamar University originated on March 8, 1923, when the South Park School District in Beaumont authorized its superintendent to proceed with plans to open “a Junior College of the first class.” On September 17, 1923, South Park Junior College opened its doors with 125 students and a faculty of fourteen. Located on the third floor of the South Park High School building, the college shared the library and athletic facilities with the high school. In 1932, separate facilities were provided and the name of the institution became Lamar College in honor of Mirabeau B. Lamar, second president of the Republic of Texas and the “Father of Education” in Texas.
As a comprehensive university granting bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees, Lamar University continues to enhance its instructional, service, and research missions. Lamar’s growth has produced an economic impact that exceeds $200 million annually and, even more influential, is the impact of more than 71,000 Lamar University graduates.
Lamar University engages and empowers students with the skills and knowledge to thrive in their personal lives and chosen fields of endeavor. As a doctoral granting institution, Lamar University is internationally recognized for its high quality academics, innovative curriculum, diverse student population, accessibility, and leading edge scholarly activities dedicated to transforming the communities of Southeast Texas and beyond.
Lamar University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award degrees at the Associate, Baccalaureate, Master’s and Doctoral levels. For questions or information about the accreditation of Lamar University, contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097, or call (404) 679-4500. In addition, Lamar University is approved by the Texas Education Agency. The University is also a member of many academic councils, societies, and associations.
Several departments and programs are accredited by professional agencies or specialized accreditors. Among the accredited programs at Lamar University are the following:
- In the College of Arts and Sciences, the undergraduate program in computer science is accredited by the Computing Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org/. Other accreditations include nursing by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission and the program in social work by the Council on Social Work Education.
- In the College of Business, the undergraduate and graduate programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB-International).
- In the College of Education and Human Development, the dietetics program is accredited by the American Dietetic Association. In addition, all teacher education programs of the university are approved by the Texas Education Agency and the State Board of Educator Certification and accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- In the College of Engineering, the undergraduate engineering programs in chemical, civil, electrical, industrial, and mechanical engineering are accredited by the Engineering Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org/.
- In the College of Fine Arts and Communication, the Department of Music is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. Additional programs accredited include speech-language pathology by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and deaf education by the Council for Education of the Deaf.
Persons wishing to review documentation regarding the institution's accreditation, approval, or licensing may do so by contacting the Office of the Provost, Room 101 in the Plummer Building, (409) 880-8398.